Things I can't eat:

Allergic to: Peanuts. Tree Nuts. Legumes (includes beans, peas). Seeds. Soy. Raw Fruit. Raw Vegetables.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Me & My Drug Bag

I consider myself pretty lucky. I've got a long list of allergies, and have never had to use my epi-pen. My parents taught me how to read ingredients. They taught me that if I wasn't sure about something, then I shouldn't eat it. They taught me to be aware of how and where my food was made, and to ask questions. I learned that it was better to have and not need, than need and not have. So, my epi-pen was always by my side. When I was too young to carry it on my own, my mom carried it. Back then, I knew that my allergies were dangerous, and I knew that the big scary yellow shot could save my life--but I was afraid of it. I would get weak knees, and my stomach would churn. Just holding it would leave me lightheaded.

As soon as I was deemed "old enough" I got a lesson on how to use the life-saving auto injector, and started carrying my own.  My dad held out the epi-pen and told me to take it, but I didn't want to. I'd decided that holding it would somehow cause me to have an allergic reaction. Holding it meant I needed it. My dad reminded me that one day, my life may depend on whether I knew how to properly use the epi. So I had to learn. I needed to know how to use it, in case my parents weren't there. I reached out, took the epi-pen and immediately felt lightheaded. I listened as he told me step-by-step, how to use it. We practiced, and soon I was able to hold it without being scared. Soon, I was teaching my friends how to use it--just in case something happened at school.

I was informed, educated, and alert. That's why when I read this article from Allergic Living, I became rather distraught. People don't carry their epi-pens everywhere? I carry two! I buy my purses based on whether there is somewhere to stash my "drug bag"! (That's what I call the little make-up case that carries my epi-pens and medicine).

If you have a life-threatening food allergy and you're not carrying an epi-pen, then you're putting your life at risk. If you're allergic, carry. If your child is allergic, carry. Most importantly, educate. If you're allergic, tell your friends. Teach them how to recognize symptoms of a reaction, and make they know how to use the epi-pen. If your child is allergic, teach them how to be vigilant. Teach them that it's okay, and that they should never feel embarrassed to speak up. A few weeks ago, I went to get a sandwich for lunch and the guy had to make it three times before he made it safely. Unless that thing is made with clean gloves and a clean knife, on a clean surface, then I'm not touching it.

Vigilance is key to our survival, but accidents do happen. Carry your epi-pen because antihistamines won't cut it, and because you deserve to live, and eat worry-free.

"Every second counts"


No comments:

Post a Comment