Things I can't eat:

Allergic to: Peanuts. Tree Nuts. Legumes (includes beans, peas). Seeds. Soy. Raw Fruit. Raw Vegetables.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Happy Sunday!

Hey ya' crazy nuts, how's it going?

I didn't sleep very well last night, so by 4 AM I knew there was no turning back. My day had begun, so I might as well bake. I attempted a batch of my nut-free oatmeal breakfast bars, which I've been tinkering with for a few weeks. I have a long commute to work, so I like to eat them on the bus. And sporadically through the day. And by that I mean I eat them all day. They're delicious, healthy, and SO easy to make! I haven't quite perfected the recipe yet, but once I do, you guys will be the first to know!

I live across the street from a bakery, and there's another up the road. The smell of fresh bread and pastries often wafts through my window, leaving me with my mouth watering, imaging what that chocolate puff pastry actually tastes like. Man, I love food. I am thankful for my allergies though, because it's forced me to learn how to make certain things on my own. Sometimes, I really enjoy a little bread with my breakfast/leisurely brunch/lunch/dinner/dinner party/snack-fest. I can't really find something that I love, and feel safe eating. Truth time? Multigrain bread scares the crap out of me. Store bought bread is out.  What about the pull apart, toss in the oven dough? Most of those are probably fine, but I always feel 100% safer if it came from my hands.

So after a little bit of research, and a four day eating extravaganza in Charleston, South Carolina (thank you to my brother, Dave, for feeding me and putting up with my four day hunt to find fried chicken that wasn't cooked in peanut oil), I decided to make biscuits. It was perfect. A rich, yummy bread that goes well with just about anything.

I use Alton Brown's Southern Biscuit Recipe, because well, it's so dang perfect. The only difference is that I substitute shortening for butter. I usually wind up using 4 or 5 Tablespoons of butter. Here's the secret to perfect biscuits: do not manhandle the dough. Seriously, no kneading. If you want a nice, fluffy biscuit then be gentle. Handle with care, and tell the dough how beautiful it is.

This recipe is always a hit, and it's so easy to throw together. Make it before work, and toss them in the oven while you're in the shower. Fresh, nut-free, 100% guaranteed safe bread? It's a dream come true.

Here's the recipe, courtesy of the Food Network. Enjoy!!

Southern Biscuits, Hold the Nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment