Things I can't eat:

Allergic to: Peanuts. Tree Nuts. Legumes (includes beans, peas). Seeds. Soy. Raw Fruit. Raw Vegetables.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

GUYS I MADE CARAMEL

I reached into the bucket of caramel corn, and pulled out a big gooey ball of freshly popped caramel coated joy. It was beautiful, and by some stroke of luck, I could eat it. This was the only stand we'd found on the boardwalk that didn't have nuts in their caramel corn. As I reveled in the magic that was caramel corn, a slow, sudden realization came over my mother. 

"NO", she shouted as she smacked my prized popcorn ball out of my hands and grabbed the bucket. My heart fell, and then quickly rose as I understood her actions. "Water!" Someone brought me a water bottle as my mom and I fumbled with the benedryl packaging. I took the pill, and chugged the entire bottle of water. I rinsed my mouth and spit into the garbage, as the bright lights and clanging sounds of the boardwalk filled the night. Exhausted and afraid, I sat on a bench, my entire family watching me with hawk eyes. Someone explained what had happened. 

"They have two serving-windows. The other window is where you get the popcorn with nuts. Your popcorn could have been cross contaminated."

"But they told us it was safe." I replied, beginning to understand that "it's safe" isn't always good enough. I learned that it was up to me to investigate and guarantee the safety of my food, before I ate it. 

That night I went to sleep, scared. I was afraid that, hours later, a reaction may still occur. My father assured me that I'd be okay, but that didn't stop me from falling asleep wondering whether I'd be okay in the morning. 

Boardwalks, fairs, and carnivals are dangerous for food allergies. It's hard to be tempted by the sugary, sweet smelling food. It's awful watching everyone eat the popcorn, except for you. Here's a fun take on caramel corn that you can make at home! 

CARAMEL SAUCE


You Need:
1 cup of sugar
6 tablespoons of butter
½ cup of cream
½ teaspoon vanilla
Dash of salt


Melt that sweet, sweet sugar in a pot over medium heat. Stir constantly with a rubber spatula, lest your sugar burn.



Sugar will start to clump, and eventually melt into a beautiful amber liquid. Once all the sugar has melted, add butter, and stir. It will bubble!


Once the butter is melted and mixed in, SLOWLY pour cream while stirring. Add vanilla. It will bubble more!


After you’ve stirred the cream and vanilla in, let sit on heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add dash of salt, and set aside to cool.


Once it’s cooled off a bit, go ahead and pour into jar/bowl/glass/mouth.


You can use this sweet nectar on anything, but for a savory seasonal treat try drizzling over some freshly popped popcorn! Eat popcorn warm, or refrigerate over night!







POPCORN:

You Need:
Canola Oil
½  cup popcorn kernels

Pour oil into a pot, (just enough to coat the bottom).

Add kernels, place lid on top.

Cook over medium heat, shaking every 5-10 seconds.

When it starts popping, shake every 3-5 seconds. (Be careful here, the oil may sneak out from 
beneath the lid! I recommend using a dishtowel, or oven mitts to hold the lid in place while you shake it).

When the popping slows down/stops, remove from heat and set aside. 

For a faster, one-pot Caramel Corn option:

1/4 Canola/vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon of butter
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
Dash of salt

Pour oil into pot (should coat the bottom).
Add butter, and sugar. Stir so the butter and sugars begin to melt.
Add kernels, place lid on top.

Cook over medium heat, shaking every 3-5.

Continue shaking every 3-5 seconds while it pops. (Be careful here, the oil may sneak out from 
beneath the lid! I recommend using a dishtowel, or oven mitts to hold the lid in place while you shake it).

When the popping slows down/stops, remove from heat and set aside. Salt it, shake it, enjoy it! 








No comments:

Post a Comment