Things I can't eat:

Allergic to: Peanuts. Tree Nuts. Legumes (includes beans, peas). Seeds. Soy. Raw Fruit. Raw Vegetables.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

A Healthy, Hearty Breakfast

When I'm in a hurry, the most I usually have time for is scrambled eggs. So I love my Saturday mornings. There's plenty of time to prepare a hearty breakfast, and sip a nice mug of tea. Quinoa is amazing, and so versatile. Toss it together with some veggies, and a fried egg? Heaven. A healthy, allergy friendly breakfast that will give you the energy you need to start your day right. The best part, is that you can customize it to your taste!

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
**Nut Free**

You Need:

  • Cooked quinoa
  • Your favorite vegetables
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1-2 eggs (how hungry are you?)

First thing first. Rinse that quinoa. Rinse it good. Add rinsed quinoa into a pot of boiling water. The water level should be about 1-2 inches above the quinoa. Cover, and let cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Quinoa should be nice and fluffy.

Fluffy Quinoa
While that's cooking, wash and chop your veggies. I used mushrooms, corn, and spinach, because it was what I had. Broccoli is also great, sweet potato is a dream with quinoa, you can add some sauteed onion for flavor--whatever you like!

I wish I had a slapchop.

Drizzle some olive oil into a pan, and toss your veggies in. Salt! Pepper! Keep in mind, cooking times may vary depending on which veggies you are using. Cook the ones that need more time first, and you can add in the smaller foods as you go.

Some tasty greens

Once the veggies are cooked, set aside in a bowl. Mix quinoa and veggies together, and set mixture aside. Crack your eggs, fry 'em up, and serve on top of the quinoa/veggie combo. You can serve whole, or if you cooked the yolk through, slice it up! I like to add a little sriracha for heat! (What can I say, my dad taught me well.)

Fried Egg with salt, pepper, dill & paprika. 
YUM.

Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top if you want. Add a scoop of ricotta cheese, or goats cheese for a little bit of decadence. Enjoy!


I've got work tomorrow, so this afternoon, we'll be making my favorite on-the-go breakfast in preparation for the week. Happy Saturday, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment